Sunday, July 11, 2010

Getaway Day

I didn't sleep well last night.  Maybe it was because I was excited...maybe it's because my Cafe is doing well on Facebook...maybe because Notting Hill was on TV last night.  I finally had to be dragged to bed by my son Nicholas: "Daddy, are you EVER going to bed?"  So at 1:30am I finally drag myself to bed, not really tired.

I tossed and turned and finally realized I actually went to sleep when my alarm went off at 5:30am.  Man I love my cell phone alarm.  I can't even remember using a regular clock alarm anymore.  I have one.  It's pretty cool actually!

As soon as its plugged in, some magic gnomes inside it sync the time and weather.  There is a projector in the back to project the time.  It really is pretty impressive...too bad I have no need for it.

Anyway, I woke up, showered, dressed, and was ready to go at 6am.  I packed everything Friday so last night all I had to do was double check to make sure I didn't forget anything.  Looking at my carry-on, it is very clear that I am going someplace sciencey:  laptop, eBook reader, iPod, digital camera, and all sorts of wires everywhere.  I am even bringing my GPS on the chance that I decide to rent a car.  I am still on the fence about it because...well because I have no idea how much time we will have to go around.  I would like to check out the city at night at least once (and maybe blog the food hehe), but we shall see.

Wow.  Ok I just did a search for "Huntsville, Alabama attractions" and came up with a website for Hunstville downtown!  Bonus!  On the front page they mention a trolley that goes all around downtown and it's free.  DOUBLE BONUS.  Well, I check it out and one of the stops on the trolley is the Super Wal-Mart.  Yikes.  Oh well, sounds like I won't need a car after all...

Well, it's now 6:30am and I can't believe the kids are still sleeping.  They have been waking me up at 5am almost every day this week and the ONE DAY that I am up early those precious little angels are still sleeping.  I don't want to wake them up but I also don't want to leave without saying goodbye.  Ah the dilemma of a single dad....

OK so here is my plan for this blog:  I know that this is going to be an amazing week with very little free time.  I know I also have lots of friends that are interested about what I am going to be doing and I don't know how often I will be able to Facebook (did I just use that as a verb? Damn right).  I am going to try to post to this from my phone (BlackBerrys rule!!) as often as possible.

OK signing off now.  Dad wants to leave for the airport a little after 7am since my flight is at 10:15 and we have to drive aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way up to Intercontinental Airport.  See you from the airport!

1 comment:

  1. Downtown HSV is charming, but the food is not really worth mentioning. Walk around Big Spring Park, take the trolley up to see Constitution Village, some of the oldest houses in Bama, see the library (I kid you not) but, I mean, a night out for us used to be Ryan's or Applebee's.
    Maybe stop by David Gibson's BBQ on Bob Wallace Ave near the Space Center. Be forewarned, this is pork pork and more pork, not TX bbq.

    ReplyDelete